Sunday, May 10, 2009

And to My Other Mother...

My stepmother, Margie, is one of the strongest women I've ever known. Her oldest son, my brother Ronnie, died in a car accident in 2004. It was Mother's Day and he was only 41 years old. Margie was devastated. That July, Margie's daddy (my PaPaw) passed away after a long battle with cancer. Margie had been there for him through his entire illness. That November, she developed pancreatitis and her organs started shutting down. It was a miracle we didn't lose her, too.

January 2006, her younger son, Keith, fell 30 feet from a train trestle onto the river bank. He was found a day later and they didn't know how he was still alive. He spent over a month in ICU in a drug induced coma. It was touch and go several times. He survived, but the nerve damage in his legs was so severe, he was wheelchair bound. With his wife as the sole supporter for his family, Margie spent the next couple of years taking Keith back and forth to doctors and therapy. Then, in September 2008, the unthinkable happened. Lightning struck twice in Margie's life. Keith died in his sleep. He was 41 years old. As if Ronnie's death weren't devastating enough, she was now completely crushed. I'd never known anyone who'd lost all of their children. My heart was broken for her. I miss my brothers, but she is their MOM! It still seems so unfair, even though we've seen God's hand and felt His presence through all of this. The amazing thing is that Margie was able to let God comfort her. So many people turn from God when these things happen, but Margie turned TO Him. I am in awe of her strength and her faith!

For weeks, I have dreaded this day for her. Every time I thought about Mother's Day coming up, I would tear up at what she must be feeling. I couldn't send a card that said "Happy" Mother's Day, but I couldn't ignore her today. I found a card that was a Mother's Day card, but with a message of comfort and sent that. I also called her this morning. I'm thankful that God gave her blessings this weekend. She had a good visit with her siblings yesterday. My niece, Lindsey, called her with BIG news! Margie is going to be a great-grandmother! She also got to hear her granddaughter, Shelbi, tell her Happy Mother's Day and that she loves her--- for the first time! Hallelujah!

Margie, I hope you read this and know how much I agonize with you (for you). I am blessed you came into my life 34 years ago! I love you with all of my heart!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a tribute. I'm sure Margie counts you as one of her blessings from the Lord. Thanks you for sharing your, her, story.

    Mother's Day can be a traumatic as any other holiday during the year. It was 17 years ago yesterday, on Mother's Day, that our precious step-mom lost her 10 year battle with breast cancer. Our precious mother passed away 7 years ago on June 1, from that insidious disease, Alzheimer's. Instead of sadness, though, we think of the good things.

    I hope you had a great day, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY good post. and that great-grandbaby is going to be spoiled rotten =)))

    ReplyDelete